Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
I've become very dependent on video games to escape my life's issues and current problems as kind of an escape if-you-will. I am struggling academically right now in a couple classes and am experiencing agitation, anger, and depressive mood swings when I'm not able to play video games for an extended period of time.

Socially I've been a lot less talkative and more consumed with when I will be home from class to play the games. The gaming is consuming more hours than I'd like during the day and oftentimes I will skip classes and skip lectures to play games.

Even as I'm writing this the desires to play games is still present and is still affecting me pretty much all the time. I will often prolong sleep and hygiene to continue gaming while sometimes staying up several hours past my bedtime to play.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 9th, 2018
(online)
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Video game addiction is called gaming disorder and equally treated like any other addiction by psychiatrist. Accoridng to international classification of disease, any gaming use that affects your daily social and personal life and withdrawal of it leads to mood disorders is addiction and should be trated . Consult your psychiatrist and let them help you. Vocation rehab will help.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.