My 51 year old BIL was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about a year ago. He is very overweight and had a quintuple bypass when he was just 40. He has high cholesterol and suffers frequently from gout. Since his diagnosis (he takes medicine for it orally), he has not changed his eating habits, at all, and does not get regular exercise. Just this past weekend, I witnessed him eating 3 big slabs of cake, plus a huge bowl of ice cream...and it bothered me immensely. On Tues, he supposedly went to his doc. about a sore throat and came back proclaiming that all of his numbers looked good and that he'd lost 10 lbs. I have a real tough time believing that. Are those with Type 2 Diabetes OK to be eating like I've just described? Can't that cause him to go into a diabetic coma?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2012
Without getting into what may or may not be true relative to his doctor visit, you are right to be concerned.

Though a diabetic person has just as much right to eat food like that as anyone else, they do have to understand the consequences, which can be tragic over a longer period of time.

However, it is also important to consider the "addictive" aspects of over-eating and just like any addiction it is important that the individual be the one who wants to change as it is virtually impossible to force someone to change.

I actually don't know what a BIL is, but perhaps you can speak to his doctor directly and figure out a way to create clear messaging to him about the potential consequences of his actions?
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....