Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Vertigo + Panic Attacks + TMJ Disorder ?

hi there. my name is chris. i have had tmj disorder for over 10 years (i'm 26). it started in high school when I would get lock jaw in the mornings. Now the clicking is very bad (right jaw) and painful. I get constant headaches and pain behind my right eye, down the right side of the neck and right shoulder blade. about two weeks ago i got a very sudden and bad attack of vertigo. i had never experienced anything like it and it freaked me out! i thought i was dying! this especially scared my wife who is 8 months pregnant. the vertigo included non-stop spinning, vomiting, cold sweats, feeling faint and hyperventilation - i think it set off a panic attack too - which i have never had before either. about two weeks later my jaw began to ache very badly and it got to the point where i couldn't bite down or chew. this has been going on and off for the last week and a half. i have had other vertigo attacks over the past few weeks - none as bad as the first and just tonight i experienced another panic attack and some dizziness. my doctor said it is probably a viral thing in the inner ear and there isn’t anything i can do about it but just wait it out. however because of the severe pain in my jaw and the lack of biting down – this has lead me to believe that it may be related to my tmj disorder and not an inner ear infection. any advice or thoughts??? who should i see??? i went to a chiropractor and there i received acupuncture but it does not see to have worked. i have noticed that over the past couple of years my tmj disorder has become frequently worse. when i opened my mouth for it to pop for the chiropractor it was so loud that it scared her and she swore… im looking for a solution… if it is this bad at 26… afro
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 9th, 2011
To improve TMJ, you must achieve a flawless bite. This can be done with porcelan onlays and gradual equilabration. Your bite will shift as it gets better, but don't panic. Mine shifted 300 times. See my post on TMJ and vertigo. TMJ is caused by one or both discs trapped outside it's happy home.when a disc is trapped, your neck and jaw muscles will tighten up to prevent further injury and a vicious cycle begins...when the disc moves back it will cause your bite to shift. As it shifts, you must modify your bite with minute polishings with a polishing stone. Exercises to widen the joint are good. my opinion
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....