Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Spinal Injuries Forum

Vertebral Compression Fractures without Osteoporosis!?!?!?!?

User Profile
In Jun 2005, I suffered a compression fracture of T-12. No injury, just bent over to put a 6 pack of water in the fridge. Diagnosis was delayed a week, following a hellish few sessions of PT which actually made my legs go numb. Ortho put me in a TSLO brace, everything was fine.
Until Nov 3, 2016, when I bent over to plug in a light and popped L-2, decreasing height by 30%. Xrays showed nothing, but I talked my doc into a CT scan. Decided to treat conservatively.
Dec 17, 2016, bent over to wash my hair in the kitchen sink, and popped L-1 AND further fractured L-2 to now 60% and appeared to now be a burst fx.
Ortho performed L-1 & L-2 kyphoplasty, which did relieve the remaining pain by day 3 postop.
Mar 4, 2017, had gradual onset of pain, leaving me to believe I had another fx. Ortho confirmed on xray I fractured L-3.
In reviewing past CT scans and MRIs (2005, 2008, 2016), sometime after 2008 but before 2016, I also fractured L-4.
In Feb 2017, I had a DEXA scan done for bone density. NORMAL! No osteoporosis, not even osteopenia. I am confused and so is my ortho.
What other conditions can cause so many VCFs????????
Bone cancer - but wouldn't that have shown up on CT or MRI already?
He is referring me to an endocrinologist. Why? I'm not sure.I was in too much of a daze to ask very many questions.
This last fx was not as severe as the others, and is already 50% improved, so no surgery for now.

Anyone have ANY idea what is going on??????? TIA Rolling Eyes
(FYI, I am a 59 yr old white female, retired OB Nurse)
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....