Hey guys n gals

Im 22 yrs old and am a sufferer of anxiety and as of lately pretty bad too, ie scared to go out to places, like shop malls and work etc

Just after i turned 21 i had my first ventricular ectopic episode where i felt my heart stop and then come back in and i freaked out, it happenend a few times that day, i noticed that the day before i had a argument over the phone with a real close friend and it effected me pretty badly not sure if that was related.

Now lately ive been getting these pauses or extra beats more often in the day and they seem to occur the most in the moarning to afternoon when i wake up my stomach with food, it can occur from 15-20 times a day, and sometimes more often within 5 minutes. it gives me a rush of butterflies everytime it does it and its real uncomfortable.

About 3 weeks ago i wore a 24 hr heart machine and thats when they diagnosed me with ventricular ectopics.

Im to scared to go for a run fearing it will happen and i will get "sudden death"

Can anyone lighten me up on if this can be fatal or if somethign should be done, it really feels like it interferes with my breathing and vision giving me butterflies every skip!

Thank you
- Michael
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 24th, 2008
Doctor
Now, when ventricular ectopics (extrasystoles) are proven with ECG holter monitoring, you need to find out the reason for their occurrence.

Ventricular extrasystoles can occur in people with completely normal hearts but are more commonly found in those with structural heart disease. In themselves, they do not cause any problems. Usually, ventricular extrasystoles have no significance but rarely, they may induce ventricular fibrillation and can be associated with sudden cardiac death. However, they can also be a feature of certain cardiac disease. They are the commonest type of arrhythmia that occurs after myocardial infarction. They may also occur in severe left ventricular hypertrophy, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and congestive cardiac failure.

These investigations should be done to evaluate the ventricular extrasystoles:
1. 12 lead ECG: The extrasystoles will only be picked up if they are occurring at the time that the ECG is performed.
2. Ambulatory ECG monitoring: It is more likely that ambulatory ECG monitoring will pick up the extrasystoles.
3. Echocardiography: This provides information about ventricular function and heart structure and can detect valvular and other abnormalities.
4. Electrolyte levels: Including potassium, calcium and magnesium.
5. Thyroid function tests: Hyperthyroidism should be treated if detected.
6. Exercise stress testing: This may be needed if ischaemic heart disease is suspected or there is an exercise-induced arrhythmia.

You could consult a cardiologist about your problem.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....