Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vegetarian Diet Forum

Vegetarianism... how to start

I know most defiantly that I wish to stop consuming meat products but i honestly have NO idea on how to begin this journey.
my reasons are for both health, we shouldn't be consuming as much meat products as we do, and protest for how our meat is obtained. Vegan- ism is defiantly a goal but id like to began somewhere not as limiting, until i get some recipes under my belt and develop some type of sustainable pattern because my days are hectic with school, practice and studding. i have no idea how im going to squeeze being vegetarian all at the same time. I know im going to have to prepare my own food because at school my choices at lunch are not very vegie friendly along with my own house hold. It would be MUCH APPRECIATED if someone could share some personal stories on how they adapted to this SUPER AWESOME lifestyle and share some recipes with me.
Please and Thanks!
XOXO
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 11th, 2012
Hi there, it's really great that you're becoming a vegetarian. I've been a vegetarian since I was about 12 or 13 when I decided to stop eating meat for ethical reasons. I had some real arguments with my family, and more than once just left them at the dinner table. But they learned to adjust to me, and I haven't eaten meat since. I think vegetarianism is great for ethical, aesthetic and health reasons. I believe that it is the most natural diet for humans also, if you look at things like the design of teeth, type of saliva, length of intestinal tract, design of the skin, etc.
Anyway, you should make sure that you follow a balanced diet. I tried being a fruitarian for awhile (eating mainly fruit) but got quite tired because I wasn't getting much protein.
Check out happycow.net for inspiration, recipes etc Smile

P.S. I think maybe you mean "definitely" rather than "defiantly"?? They have very different meanings, but I can understand if you actually mean "defiantly" Wink
|

replied February 20th, 2013
If its what you want, time shouldn't be an issue. Getting into the routine of buying vegetarian products may take a while getting used to, for example, knowing what foods have meat produce in (a lot of cheeses with rennet, some whey powder used in chocolate, some beer that use fish scales in filtering, etc) takes a while, but you do get used to it.

Best thing to do is calmly inform your parents that its what you want, and that you tale full responsibility for your own food. My guess is that you are old enough to make your own decisions, and like the above poster said, even aged 12 is old enough to start cooking for yourself and preparing veggie meals for one.

After that, try boosting your intake of vegetables and carbohydrates like rice, potatoes, pasta, etc. These will keep you feeling healthy and full, with lots of energy, so that you don't miss the 'weight' of meat in your stomach. Drink plenty of water too, and you'll feel much more alert and awake, if your energy levels crash after giving up meat, which does provide a lot of 'good' fat and protein.

Start thinking up recipes that you can already cook (on first becoming veggie, I ate little but pasta, with mushrooms, tomatoes and peppers), and if they contain meat, either take it out, or substitute it. Look at things like pasta dishes, curries and Chinese dishes like sweet and sour, or black bean, and take out any meat components, replacing with soy protein, such as Quorn, or tofu.

If you don't like meat replacements (still feel guilty for eating pretend meat), just boost your intake of things like grains/lentils etc. Its easy enough once you get used to it, but it may be hard at first, getting used to the diet change, and probably not eating at the same time as everyone else, but its what you want, so stick at it!

Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2018
Experienced User
You made the right decision. Vegetarianism is primarily a call of the soul.
|