Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Vegetarianism and Eating Disorders?

Hello everyone. I''m a junior journalism major, and for my medical journalism class, I''m writing an article about the link between vegetarianism/veganism and eating disorders. Numerous studies have been done that show that young people with eating disorders often become vegetarian or vegan as a way to turn down food without arousing suspicion--that is, they use their vegetarianism to cover up their eating disorder.

I need to interview people with this type of experience. Did you become vegetarian as a way of hiding your eating disorder from friends or family? I would love to hear from you. If you would be willing to respond to a pretty short e-mail interview, please write me. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 17th, 2010
I am a 37 year old Recovering Anorexic and in the beginning I did start a Vegan Diet to make up for not eating so much and to try to get healthy without gaining alot of weight.

Currently I am on a Raw Food Diet and eat all the time and am happy to have most of my weight back. I would love to chat with you about this.
|

replied June 11th, 2010
Experienced User
hi, i am a life veggi yet have strugled with conpulsave eatting while at collage and Uni, althogh i have now tamed it. the link is not certan althogh coversions to a vegatarian diet in an uncontrolled way my lead to problems or be a result there of it is only a tenuas link.
|

replied August 13th, 2010
I became vegan 3 months prior to my anorexia. Having been vegetarian For 5 years. While I am positive veganism did not lead to my eating disorder (I am sure I would be like this without the veganism), people who have a vegan diet must have a lot of self control, so drying which anorexics obviously have. Whilst I became vegan for animal rights reasons, I k ow of other anorexics who have used veganism as a cover up of their ED.
Hope I helped.
|

replied August 16th, 2010
I turned Vegetarian, after my sister did so and lost about a stone in weight. I was 14 at the time and had minor eating disordered behaviours. I found that being vegetarian made it much easier to hide my habits or turn down food etc I definitely think there is a li nk between tenneagers deciding to become vegetarian and them having some form of issue with food.
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....