In previous communications I have explained why I think at least 2 long term reactive hypoglycemia suffers have many significant (but small) vasovagal events. I have also explained that I think the major symptom is fatigue. The question then is how to prevent events and what to do if they occur? I will now give what I have found over approximately 50 years.
I have found that many of my events occur as I eat. In order to minimize the events I must severely limit my sugar and easily digestible starch (that is same for my reactive hypoglycemic problem). When working I have a salad available with no dressing. I dare not eat anything more. This is a problem. One of my worst low sugar episodes occurred when I went to a clinic to find out if anything more had been found about reactive hypoglycemia. They insisted on a fasting blood sugar and then I waited for hours. I passed-out and when I revived my liver had responded so actively that I shock like a leaf. I said, when that happened it was obvious my blood sugar rose (paraphrase) so what was happening. The doctor did not know. I therefore have a contradiction. If I eat a lot of small meals very low in sugar and easily digested starch my hypoglycemic problem is nullified. At the same time I get exhausted from my vasovagal problems.
I have found that if I get fatigue from a minor vasovagal event(s) there are 2 things that work most of the time to nullify this problem. One thing is to lie down for say 15 minutes. The second method is a direct contradiction that is exercise. I have a mat at work. I am using a Beta Blocker, that seems to cut the severity of vasovagal events. I do not know if it is inhibiting my liver response. I was using a diuretic, it seemed to increase the severity of vasovagal events. Does anyone have other suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 14th, 2012
Hypoglycemia Needs and the Similarities Between Rest/Exercise
It would be nice to hear from you again. When your liver kicked in, what happened was somehow your body signals finally got right. And, it's not a contradiction that rest and excerise help, because rest as well as exercise both directly stimulate circulation! Hypoglycemics cannot live on dry green salad during the whole work day - you must have more. Can't you put some oil on it. Eat several hundred calories every few hours, with *complex* carbs, fiber, and protein.
|

replied May 17th, 2012
I have reactive hypoglycemia not hypoglycemia due to insulin problems. The theory is my liver has problems absorbing sugar. I can live on mostly meat,fat protein and low carbohydrate vegetables. In fact I can thrive.
|

replied May 16th, 2012
I live very comfortably on an Atkins diet (only a little fruit and a treat of no sugar added ice cream). My salid works best for me. In fact no food works when I am working.
|

replied May 21st, 2012
I'm so glad I found this forum - desperation doesn't even begin to describe the past 2 1/2 years of vasovagal syncopes. My question is does your blood sugar show up at the low end of normal? Doctors are saying that I don't have hypoglycemia but it's very clear that if I don't eat regularly and properly I will have a vasovagal event.

Also, is there a doctor that specializes in this condition? I've been to a neurologist, cardiologist, and endocrinologist and so far no help. A naturopath has been the only one that's made a difference by giving me chromium and changing my diet, but I'm still getting the vasovagal episodes only not as often.
|