Medical Questions > Mens Health > Birth Control - Men Forum

vasectomy and the nervous man

I have a question for any of the doctors here, My wife and I have two children and a third one on the way, and we have begun looking into vasectomies as a final option for birth control. We both feel that the vasectomy is a much better way to go than the tubal ligation and other forms of female sterilization. The only problem is I want to be sedated completely so as to not be able to remember the procedure. I have a long history of mental trauma associated with anything that has to do with hospitals, and I tend to have night sweats, shaking, and in general mental meltdown if I remember the proceedings as they happen, and for long periods of time after. However If I am sedated, and can wake up after the procedure is over I am always 100% fine with the outcome with no lasting mental effects. My problem? I cannot get a urologist to perform the procedure while I am under general anethestia. I realize the laughing gas if you will call it that has got risks all to it's own, but shouldn't it be my choice? Please keep in mind this is not because I am afraid to undergo the procedure, because I am not, I have a huge paralizing fear of hearing the doctors as they work, and converse with the nurse etc. It to me has a cold "steely" feeling to it and it scares the heck out of me to the point that it has lasting effects on me..........For instance, concentrating on anything other than the procedure at hand IE: poster, and seeing them as they move about is terrifying for me. It can be likened to "Going towards the light" if you will. I've tried on other occasions to have a head set, and closing my eyes, even valium as prescribed before hand and nothing works. The feeling of doctors hands working on me will ultimately still traumatize me for weeks, months afterward. Please don't think I am weak, I can take pain for sure, so much so that my wife always comments "doesn't that bother you?" on things like open wounds or the time I had a metal chip in my eye for two weeks before going to a doctor. Anyway.........sorry for the rambling, please advise me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 6th, 2012
You don't need to have a urologist to have the procedure done. See a general surgeon. That is what I did. I was heavily sedated and really saw or felt or heard anything. Try talking to a general surgeon. Good Luck. Sounds like you may suffer from a little PTSD or panic disorder. I also have both and have been well under control for over 20 years now with Paxil and the occasional Xanax.
|
Did you find this post helpful?