My sister was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and now vasculitis on her right foot/ankle/leg she started off with a wound between her toes, it looked like a blister then It popped. Doctors didn't tell us anything for weeks and didn't treat it and know her great toe and second toe are black. The doctors want to amputate her leg below her knee. Why? Because she also has a wound behind her ankle now, and it looks dry and dark. But she has had wounds before and they have healed so my sister refuses to let them cut her leg. She agrees on her toes because well they are dead. But she wants to try to treat her wound, but the doctor isn't giving her the option or any hope to save the rest of her leg. Please please help me we need answers to see what else we can do.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 18th, 2013
Re: Vasculitis and treatment
AlmaDee wrote:
My sister was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and now vasculitis on her right foot/ankle/leg she started off with a wound between her toes, it looked like a blister then It popped. Doctors didn't tell us anything for weeks, all that was put to treat the wound was hydrating cream and now her great toe and second toe are black. The doctors want to amputate her leg below her knee. Why? Because she also has a wound behind her ankle now, and it looks dry and dark. Her wounds started of just like a diabetic patient would have, she isn't diabetic. She has had wounds before and they have healed so my sister refuses to let them amputate her leg. She agrees on her toes because well they are dead and she is aware of it. But she wants to try to treat her wound, but the doctor isn't giving her the option or any hope to save the rest of her leg. Please please help me we need answers to see what else we can do.
|

replied August 7th, 2013
Well,it is an unusual complication of longstanding, severe rheumatoid arthritis. The active vasculitis associated with rheumatoid disease occurs in about 1% of this patient population.

Varana
|