Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Various treatment options for PCOS

User Profile
Hi, Im 21 years old. I have always had irregular periods from the age of 11 and show all syptoms of PCOS. however I havent started menustrating for more then 3 months but for 2 weeks ive had all the cramps and pain but no period and its really frustrating. also recently ive put on alot of weight having a BMI of 25 a few months ago and now its 29. i do have an apponit with a gyno but have a few weeks to wait. I would be grateful if you could answer my Question.

Thank you for your help!

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2009
Menstruation Answer A8285
Thank you for your question on ehealthforum.

PCOS is characterized by amenorrhea(no bleeding) or irregular bleeding, high body mass index, enlarged ovaries and infertility. It can be caused by problems at ovarian or hormonal levels. There is always a disturbance in the hormonal pathway with increased levels of LH(Leutinizing hormone)which is responsible for development of normal cysts containing ovum. Increased LH causes cells in the ovum to produce more androgens and decreased estrogens. Women with this problem have abnormal metabolism of androgen and estrogen with high concentration of androgens (testosterone etc). In certain cases, ovarian cyst removal or wedge resection helps, suggesting the main problem is at ovarian level. Other findings in this problem are obesity, diabetes mellitus and metabolic changes.

Diagnosis of polycystic ovaries is made only after excluding all other causes of irregular bleeding and associated findings of enlarged cystic ovaries and increased levels of androgens and their abnormal metabolism. It is also advisable to have pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy if the periods are absent for a long period.

Ultrasound examination of the ovaries should be done to evaluate cysts in the ovaries.

Please consult your gynecologist for a complete examination and diagnosis, an endocrinologist opinion is also needed for endocrinological evaluation and ruling out diabetes. Diet, exercise, oral contraceptive pills to reduce LH levels and regularize periods, wedge resection of ovary and surgical removal of cysts are various options in treatment. Your gynecologist will be able to advise the appropriate treatment based on the results of investigation and complete examination. Thank you.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.