Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Various symptoms caused by anxiety ?

Hello there,
I am new to this forum but I was hoping I can get some guidance or if anyone else is going thru the same thing.

I am a 37 year old male and fairly healthy until recently. This all started about 6 weeks ago out of the blue. I started getting this rush right as I am about to fall asleep at night. Hard to explain, it feels like hypnic jerks but just in my head. I would get 3-4 and then fall asleep. Then I started being wide awake in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep. About 3 weeks ago I started to get tingling in my hands and feet. Minor tingling but I did notice. About the same time my tinnitus, which I have had for 6 years, quadrupled in volume. Now I wake up multiple times almost every hour during the night with strange symptoms. My right arm was totally numb one night but it came back as soon as I moved it. I was not sleeping on it. Both of my thumbs would also go numb from time to time as i sleep but also came back when i move my arm. My right leg is fine at night but it feels cold throughout the day and it gets numbish feel with some pain by the end of the day. I went for a 2 mile run and by the end of the run I had almost numb feet.

My doc has done a brain MRI and a spine MRI. The brain came back clean. The spine had some minor issues with shape and stuff but no lesions or pinched nerves. I was also tested for B12 deficiency and that was negative.

I am an usually anxious person and go to the doctor more often than normal people. Could all these be caused by anxiety? Never felt this way before. I just can't see anxiety waking me up with numb hands. is that any other tests I should ask for? I am going crazy and I feel like I am getting worse. Doc prescribed 25mg ampitryptiline. It usually helps me go to sleep but still wake up at night multiple times. Last night it did not help at all, hypnic jerks were out of control. Took 5mg of melatonin and finally could sleep. I can't seem to enjoy anything. My mind eventually goes back to everything that's going on with me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2018
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i believe that with all the work of clean and normal anxiety can explain the symptoms. 25 milligrams of amitriptyline is the drug of choice to manage your tinnitus and give you some anxiety relief. Avoid triggers like caffeine , smoking, alcohol ,beverages and soda et cetera if the issue persists consult a psychiatrist for further management.

Take care.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Anxiety, Stress
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.