Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and have been suffering with on/off pinching pains that last seconds all around my head (sometimes they are localized and sometimes it could be on the right side or left side). Ibuprofen works, sometimes it doesn't. The only other symptom I get is neck pain, but my neck pain comes and goes and it doesn't always come on when I have this head pain. I wear my hair up in a bun a lot... thought maybe it was attributed to that, but I still get it even if I wear my hair down. I had an MRI done in 2013 (had the same feelings then) and thank goodness nothing was found, however when I got it done, I got it done without contrast... now I'm second guessing that I should've gotten the MRI done with contrast. Anyone experience the difference between the two tests with and without? I have gone to two neurologists that looked at my MRI to get a 2nd opinion and they both didn't think I needed to get another MRI.

I just went and saw an ortho the other day about my neck... he did an x-ray on my neck and didn't see anything alarming at all. I was thinking maybe my pillow is straining on my neck and I should get a different pillow and maybe that is why I get the pinching pains in various spots on my head. Somedays it feels like water running down on the side and its just a scary uncomfortable feeling along with the pinching. I get these feelings throughout the whole day, everyday... I did have a time where it was gone for literally a month and I didn't get any symptoms. I don't get blurred vision or anything like that. Its only neck pain and head pain.... could it be stress related? Anyone else have similar symptoms?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2015
Welcome to e health forum.

Since most tests and physical examination have been normal, it is likely that your headache and skin sensitivity are more due to functional causes or due to musculoskeletal strain.

In most cases stopping to worry too much and understanding that the pain is benign and relaxing can help.

If self help measures cannot help, then consulting a psychiatrist and seeking proper counselling and behavior therapy would be recommended.

But before that consult your neurologist and confirm that there are no other possible organic conditions that may be the cause of your headache.

I hope this helps.
|

Hello Deepak, Thanks for your reply. I also wanted to note that when I exert, if its going to the bathroom or what have you, I feel like I get this pain in various locations. I don't get any type of vision problems, just more like a "whooshing" or a wave like feeling... and it stays all day... sometimes the ibuprofen helps, sometimes it doesn't. You don't think exerting would ever cause a brain hemorrhage or anything do you? I have IBS, I don't sit there and try to strain, but its like whenever I go to the bathroom occassionally I will get these head pains. I've even asked the neurologist if this is possible... he just laughed... when you are talking about organic conditions, what do you mean by that? Thank you for your help
|

User Profile
Welcome to e health forum.

Organic conditions are medical disorders where the cause is a specific pathological lesion which can be detected within organ systems.

Functional disorders are those in where no pathology can be detected in any organ and any medical issues faced by the patient cannot be attributed to any anatomic of physiological defect in the organ systems.

Unless you have very fragile blood vessels, the possibility of having brain hemorrhage when you strain is highly unlikely.

If ibuprofen is not helping, then consult your doctor and seek prescription strength medications which you may find useful.
|
Tags: Headache, Stress
Quick Reply
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.