Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Vaginal soreness , no UTI

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
hi, I was wondering if you could help me. I have had vaginal soreness during sexual intercourse/burning urinating afterwards for about a month. My vaginal area then hurts for the remainder of the day often the next day as well. I consulted my doctor and the test showed no sign of a UTI. I was wondering if you have any idea what this might be or what I can do to get rid of it. It is incredibly frustrating and nearly unbearable to move around at its worst. Thank you, I really appreciate any feedback you have. I suppose I should mention I am on the pill and I have a boyfriend who occasionally uses protection. Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 10th, 2010
Sexual Health - Women Answer A16064
Welcome to ehealthforum.
The pain/discomfort during intercourse suggests infection or PID (pelvic inflammatory disease). The burning sensation and itching suggest vaginosis. If the symptoms started after condom use, then it could suggest possibility of allergic reaction and secondary infection.
Visit your gynecologist and request for a vaginal swab test to identify the infection and get it treated as indicated by test results.
Get your partner also treated simultaneously and avoid having unprotected intercourse while being on treatment to prevent chances of re-infection.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.