Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

vaginal PH balance

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
My Gynecologist thinks that my vaginal PH balance is out and I therefore get an unpleasant odour at times. My papsmeer results are normal. I shower twice a day and just want to know if I should wash inside my vagina/uterus (as I do) or if that could be harming my natural flora?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 12th, 2008
Vaginal Health Answer A4267

List of other diseases, conditions, or injuries and their treatment: Endometriosis

Current medical status: Smelly "down there". Do not know if it is vaginal or anal.

Current medical treatment: Doctors keep putting me on anti biotics (Cyplox) that works like a bomb, but when I'm finished with them, the problem comes back. My gynecologist gave me a cream that's suppose to restore the PH balance in your vagina. It seemed to have worked for about a week only and gave me a yeast infection. (As does the cyploxx)

You'll need to request a microbiological examination that includes a vaginal smear. A PAP-smear is not an appropriate diagnostic tool for detecting vaginal infections. Microbiological examinations test for vaginal infections and disturbance in the vaginal flora. Furthermore, Cyplox is a large spectral antibiotic that can disturb the balance of the vaginal flora. A yeast infection can be due to the Cyplox. Other infections may also be present in combination with the yeast infection. Finally, you can wash your vagina but you can’t wash your uterus because that is technically not possible.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.