i recently gave birth to my son a week and a day ago and i have been wearing the maternity pads that the hospital gave me. Today i started having irratating pain on my inner thighs and noticed a large swollen red bump, it then started oozing out blood and puss. im wondering if this is because my thighs are irratated from the pads or is it something i should be worried about.. like herpes or something?!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2010
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the bump on your thighs. These can be due to irritated or infected hair follicles. This starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle.

In most cases of folliculitis, the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria Staphylococcus (staph). Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics like Neosprin can be used after consulting a dermatologist.

If the bumps become persistent then the possibilities of warts, herpes sores or benign skin growths is to be ruled out. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Postpartum and Postnatal , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.