Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Vaginal cuts, itching and redness

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
Hi, For about the last two months now, I've been getting cuts on the inside of my vagina. I have two running straight down one side and one on the very very top. They itch, and when I scratch or touch them, they start to burn. I've been putting paw paw ointment on them to soothe the itch whilst sleeping. My vagina is quite red. I've only had the one sexual partner and we've always used protection besides one time. He's been tested for STD/STI's before and has been negative. I'm wondering if these are just symptoms of a yeast infection or something more sinister? It's very uncomfortable. I try not to scratch as it makes it worse and more cuts appear, but I can't control myself in my sleep. The cuts don't seem to heal at all. I'm also on the pill, could this be the issue?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 21st, 2011
Welcome to ehealthforum,
It is difficult to comment on your condition without examination and further tests. You should consider visiting your gynecologist for thorough examination along with vaginal swab/smear test to look for infectious agent. If infection is detected, get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent re-infection. Drink plenty of water. Take the complete course of the medications prescribed.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 22nd, 2011
I have a condition called Lichen sclerosis and it is painful and itchy. I don't know how you can see inside your vagina, but LS usually affects the inner lips or vulva and peri-anal area. Sometimes fissures or little tears appear and it is difficult to not scratch. It is important to see you ob/gyn as this is a condition that needs to be monitored. The thought is that this is auto-immune. I along with a steroid ointment also use a lidocaine gel to get me through the flare-ups.
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.