Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

vaginal bleeding for 14 days now

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
I have been experiencing vaginal bleeding for 14 days now. I'm not sure if I should go to the ER or just go see a OB doctor. I started my period on December 26 and normally my period lasts 3 days, is heavy, and painful. This one has been very light and almost no pain and has obviously lasted longer. I have a history of ovarian cysts and I had half of my right ovary removed because the cyst got so big. That happened when I was 18 years old. I'm 22 now. I'm not on any medications. What should I do?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2013
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A41458
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Prolonged bleeding is not normal and should be reported to your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest. Go ahead with further prolonged and heavy bleeding that you describe is not normal and should not be ignored. Further evaluation to rule out causes like hormonal imbalances, thyroid abnormalities, anemia, bleeding disorder, vitamin deficiencies, probable ongoing miscarriage/incomplete abortion (possible if you are sexually active and not on any regular birth control measures), endometrial hyperplasia, etc. You should consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for examination and further evaluation to look for the underlying cause. Treatment as indicated (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you control the bleeding and regulate your periods. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.