Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Vagina too tight

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
I'm currently in a happy relationship with my girlfriend; sex has been great until the past month. Now my vagina tightens up so much that penetration is impossible and is causing problems in our sex life. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2009
Sexual Health - Women Answer A7854
Hello and welcome to eHealth Forum!

Tightening of vaginal wall is called vaginismus. A tight vaginal wall can be due to various reasons. Since everything was fine earlier it is a secondary vaginismus. There is a chance that you now have vaginitis or inflammation of vagina, sores at the mouth of vagina or vestibulitis, vulvodynia or a dry vagina, or thrush or fungal infection. Treating the cause often takes care of the problem.

If no cause is found vaginal dilation exercises are usually carried out using plastic dilators, done under the direction of a sex therapist or other health care provider. Generally both partners are counseled to gradually increase more intimate contact, ultimately resulting in intercourse.

Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss these possibilities with your gynecologist once. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.