Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

UTI / Vaginal Irritation After Frequent Sex

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I have been having sex with the same guy for approximately 6 months now, fairly regularly - about 3-4 nights of the week pretty consistently. Lately the sex has been slightly more aggressive and the past week, within 2 days we had sex about 4 times. Around the 3rd time, I noticed some irritation during urination but it went away quickly and thus I had sex the next morning. During sex, I noticed the irritation returning and urination afterwards became incredibly painful.

I went to my family doctor and she diagnosed me with a UTI and prescribed me Bactrim. The only problem is, while I do think I have a UTI, some of the pain is external - the skin around my vagina is so irritated that when my urine comes in contact with it, it burns like crazy. I've not noticed any abnormal discharge, but there are 2 irritated bumps that look like pimples in the region.

Just to be safe, should I get a test for STD's since I am not seeing any substantial relief from the antibiotics, or could it just be a matter of allowing the skin irritation go away? I don't know if anyone else might have experienced this.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 14th, 2010
Welcome to the forum. I am really glad to help you out. In the presence of the STD’s, usually there’s some associated vaginal discharge. Hence, an STD seems less likely. However, these small lumps inside the vagina can be due to genital warts or herpes sores and hence a second opinion from a gynecologist is needed as it is not possible to diagnose online.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.