Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Miscarriage and Stillbirth Forum

UTI or yeast infection cause miscarriage ?

Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
User Profile
Can a UTI or a yeast infection cause a misscarriage if not cured in time? I also use alot the playtex cleansing cloths could that also be affecting the baby? I was 5 1/2 months and i misscarried and had both tomorrow i go for some results on blood work and some genetic test on my baby but still was wondering about if maybe the UTI and yeast infection probably played a part in the misscarriage

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 2nd, 2009
Yeast Infection Answer A7420
Welcome to the forum!
Since you had an abortion at 5and half months in an earlier pregnancy, naturally you are worried this time. Presence of yeast infection and UTI, though does not cause abortion, it can however complicate the pregnancy by passing this infection to the baby. If the yeast infection has spread and affected the uterus (rare) it can cause abortion. However infection of cervix can precipitate abortion. Also use of playtex cleansing cloths should not result in abortion.
However you must investigate the causes of abortion in second trimester like chromosomal abnormalities (you are having genetic testing); infections like listeria, rickettsia, toxoplasma, mycoplasma, viral infections (herpes, rubella, CMV, HbAv), local infections (cervicitis, endometritis) and malaria; cervical dilatation; multiple pregnancies; leiomyomas, fibroids and anomalies of uterus; diabetes; hypertension; smoking; renal diseases; polycystic ovary; hormonal disturbances; and in some cases the cause is not known.
It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. You need a comprehensive investigation taking all these points in consideration. Some tests you have already had. Please discuss this with your gynecologist and get yourself investigated accordingly. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Miscarriage and Stillbirth , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.