Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

UTI or Chlamydia symptoms ?

Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
User Profile
Please help!
I noticed a change in my discharge recently - it was more "water" like and there was more of it, also it felt like i needed to pee all the time! So I went to the doctors and was diagnosed with a UTI. However - I am worried it could be linked to Chlamydia. I have taken a course of antibiotics and the urge to urinate all the time has stopped, but last time i had sex i bled slightly (which is also a symptom of chlamydia). I am also still noticing an abnormal amount of discharge. How can you tell the difference between UTI and Chlamydia? And in what way would my previous course of antibiotics affect me if I did have it?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2010
Sexual Health - Women Answer A11912
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

You need to wait for 72 hours for the antibiotics to clear up from the system before you can test for Chlamydia. Bleeding after sex and discharge can also be due to other STDs like herpes, trichomoniasis and gonorrhea and also due to fungal infection.

It would be wise to get a complete STD panel. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss with your gynecologist once. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.