Medical Questions > Mental Health > Autism Forum

Using the word "disability"?

Our 2.5yr old was recently diagnosed with Autism. I'm having a difficult time saying its a "disability". A lot of what I've read says early intervention is great & many people live to have completely NORMAL lives. I dont want to call it a disability or gifted. I dont want our 4yr old to feel less than or not equal. I thought maybe "super power", but my 4yr loves his super heros...is that a bad idea!? I dont know.
I'm trying to find ways to explain this to our 4yr in ways that he will understand. Also have to tell people. Family & friends. What does your family call it? How did your family share the news, how did you explain to the sibling(s)??? any details or advice would be greatly appreciated. =)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 19th, 2018
Experienced User
I wouldn't call it a disability for sure. Such children are special. They may think they are full enough as a personality and there is no need to have other interactions with someone who's not that comfortable or needed for them
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2018
I think it is not a disability, people make a word but it doesn't mean it. people who are having the ability are not so active for there work they are facing disability not those who are active with there work without the ability.
|
Tags: Autism
Quick Reply
Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...