Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

Using Phentermine while nursing?

I know it's written that Phen could get into the breastmilk. BUT my daughter is almost off the breast. She nurses MAYBE 1 or 2 times a night for just a few minutes. If I only took my phen EARLY in the am would it still bother her? I obviously don't want to put her at any risk but she's not quite ready to give it up and I really want to start my pills.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 10th, 2008
Since there's not really much research on the subject, I personally would stay away from it. Of course, I'm also the person who refuses to take a simple antihistamine while I'm nursing b/c I don't want it to affect my milk supply.

Also, some studies suggest that phen can be habit-forming, and if it does pass through your milk, you wouldn't really want to have to wean your daughter off of a diet pill - especially such a strong one, but that's just my $.02
|

User Profile
replied June 10th, 2008
Community Volunteer
You shouldn't be taking anything that could be potentially harmful to your baby, especially something that isn't necessary for you at this point. If you want to diet, consider waiting until after the baby has stopped nursing.

The other factor to consider is that if you are dieting or taking diet pills while nursing is that if you lose weight too quickly or unnaturally, too many fat cells will be burned at once. Our fat cells retain toxins and once these fat cells are burned, the toxins are released into our system and end up in the breast milk. Those toxins, along with the diet pill could make things really hard on your baby.
|
Tags: breast, pills
Quick Reply
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....