Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Yeast Infection Forum

used an OTC treatment for yeast, did it work?

User Profile
i used an OTC treatment for yeast infection friday - - symptoms seemed to be eleviated, however saturday afternoon they started again and then saturday night i was fine, but once again started early sunday evening for about an hour and then before going to bed i was fine. it feels like something is pushing through the opening of my vagina. the more i walk the more pressure i feel. I have the normal cottage cheese looking discharge never in my panties, only when i hold up a mirror to investigate. so not sure if the OTC just didn't work or if i should be going to see a doctor. I don't have medical coverage so I would just be going to the ER

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 14th, 2012
Yeast Infection Answer A37993
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. What you seem to be having is candidiasis. Other than a cottage cheese discharge, other symptoms like itching, burning, soreness and pain during intercourse may be present. To confirm whether you are having candidiasis or not, you can get a cervical swab done. The best tests involved in the diagnosis of candida are scraping or swab examination of the scrapings after KOH mounting. The other test that can be done is fungal culture of the scrapings from the vaginal swabs. You can get it done and then start with treatment once the diagnosis is confirmed. Till that time, take some precautionary measures like avoid wearing tight fitting clothing like jeans and pantyhose and underwear made from synthetic fibres. Remove wet or damp bathing suits immediately after swimming, avoid douching, perfumed soaps, bubble baths and toiletries, change underwear daily, wash underwear in hot water (to destroy fungi) and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Yeast Infection , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.