Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Urine infection are nitrites a definite sign

User Profile
Hi Wanted to ask a question about testing urine. My son is 11 and ASD he loves ham and eats a lot of it, with an otherwise healthy diet of veg etc. This week he was a little warm and has been wetting himself so I testing his urine with a dip stick, I've never done it before. I found that there was no protein indicated and no leukocytes but it showed up nitrites. Is this a definite indication of an infection or could it be from the processed meat he eats?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 6th, 2014
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Positive nitrites is quite specific for UTI. Get a Urine R/E done in a lab for confirmation. Antibiotics can be prescribed accordingly after C/S testing.

wishing you best of health

thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.