Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Urinary retention and Interstim device implant

Hi all

I was just wondering, as I have severe chronic urinary retention, if any of you have had the Interstim Medtronic implant device for this particular condition and also if any of you know any hospitals or consultants in the UK that actually perform this procedure as I am desperate for treatment and self cathing is definitely not for me - it's too painful and inconvenient.

Many thanks for any help or advice any of you may be able to offer.

Kind regards

DS
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 29th, 2009
Please post whether you are a male or female - help for your condition may be gender related. tks.
|

replied June 30th, 2009
Experienced User
Hi, garfieldgal. Smile

Thanks for your reply.

I am a female.

Kind regards

DS
|

replied August 21st, 2009
You need to be referred to the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery at Queen's Square - if you are diagnosed there with Fowler's Syndrome you may be eligible for an interstim implant. http://www.ion.ucl.ac.uk/fowlersyndrome/
|

replied August 21st, 2009
Experienced User
Hi, hooverio

I saw the professor of uro-neurology there but she did not know what to do with me and only suggested taking my indwelling catheter out. She said that my health problems are too complex for her to deal with...

She has just discharged me without testing me for fowlers syndrome and does not want to see me again unless the lumbar puncture results come back negative.

To be honest, I do not understand her logic as she could still treat whatever bladder retention I have with a neurostimulator even if the lumbar pnucture does show something?

I am real confused...

I would definitely not want to see her again as it was pointless in my opinion. They must think I have nothing to do...

Is there anywhere else better that treats patients with more respect and is up-to-date in treatment options?

Kind regards

DS
|

replied July 8th, 2010
Women With Urine Retention and Interstim Implant
I am a female with urine retention. I had an interstim implant and it has not proven to be that helpful and their or side effect also. I sometimes get pain at the location of the implant and pain down the side of my leg.

I am still self-cath 2-3 times a day. I get UTI ongoing
|

replied October 10th, 2010
ive got the trial sns inserted last thursday and so far have managed to pass 5ml myself. a small amount but a huge step in the right direction! i got mine done by mr conn who has clinics at a few hospitals in glasgow. the trial was fitted in the southern general bbut will be removed in the new victoria. i havent yet been diagnosed with anything although it kind of looks like fowlers!
since posting ive managed to pass another 40ml woohoo!
|

replied November 13th, 2010
Interstim Retention
I've had an interstim for approximately 6 or 7 years and it works like a dream. I get a little bit of pain in my leg if I have it turned up too high. I get maybe 1-2 UTI's per year...otherwise I pish like a champ!

I had mine put in in Miami, FL.
|

replied November 13th, 2010
goodpeer good to hear you pish like a tramp lol
i had my trial removed, the wire had moved out of place so it stopped working. im now waiting on a date to have the permanent electrodes put in with the external box for another trial period. confident it will work as was managing full pee's before the wire moved Smile exciting stuff!
|

replied January 19th, 2011
Funding for sns
I've been told I need the sns but funding has been refused, has anyone else had this issue and subsequently been successful?
|

replied January 19th, 2011
funding
i was told by my local continence team i probably wouldnt get the funding but they referred me on to chat with another consultant and it turned out the funding wasnt going to be a problem because of my symptoms and age
|

replied March 1st, 2011
interstem device/retentive bladder/Hemroids
I had the device put in June 2009. It mostly helped me because it gave me piece of mind and i noticed i have more problems urinating when i have company over, an occassion or at a friends house, so nerves or stress related. I had trouble with the devise corners rubbing from the inside and could see the corners through my skin (not protruding) is caused extreme irritation. In January 2010, I went in and they surgically tried to put the device in deeper in my buttock. I had also gotten knee surgery a week earlier so I was doing nothing but laying in bed for a month and still the device worked its way back towards the surface. Because I am on medical assistance for only a few more years and the batteries in these things need to be replaced every 3-5 years (sooner if you crank it up more which i was doing alot cuz it wasnt working as well as it does for others) and also because we didnt know what health insurance was going to be like in the years to come, we decided to have it removed in March 2010. If it werent for the money reasons, I have to say I would probably seriously consider getting it put back in, mostly because i felt less stress with it because when i was nervous and couldnt go, the fact that I could crank it up more helped alot. Also I have such trouble urinating now that I have constant protruding hemroids, the pressure from them makes it so I cant pee at all sometimes. But i couldnt risk losing health coverage and have an object stuck in me haha. I have to add that curiously the device also helped me with bowel movements I noticed when I first got it done. I usually take Dr. Schultz capsules to help with that because of the hemroids. For those suffering the same out there, Ive found that when I cant urinate I sit on a plank or on the edge of the bathtub and pee into it. It keeps the pressure off and hemroids from protruding. It sucks but what can you do right? Hope this information helps someone out there. Makes the suffering a little more worth it.
|

replied March 1st, 2011
interstem device/retentive bladder/Hemroids
I had the device put in June 2009. It mostly helped me because it gave me piece of mind and i noticed i have more problems urinating when i have company over, an occassion or at a friends house, so nerves or stress related. I had trouble with the devise corners rubbing from the inside and could see the corners through my skin (not protruding) is caused extreme irritation. In January 2010, I went in and they surgically tried to put the device in deeper in my buttock. I had also gotten knee surgery a week earlier so I was doing nothing but laying in bed for a month and still the device worked its way back towards the surface. Because I am on medical assistance for only a few more years and the batteries in these things need to be replaced every 3-5 years (sooner if you crank it up more which i was doing alot cuz it wasnt working as well as it does for others) and also because we didnt know what health insurance was going to be like in the years to come, we decided to have it removed in March 2010. If it werent for the money reasons, I have to say I would probably seriously consider getting it put back in, mostly because i felt less stress with it because when i was nervous and couldnt go, the fact that I could crank it up more helped alot. Also I have such trouble urinating now that I have constant protruding hemroids, the pressure from them makes it so I cant pee at all sometimes. But i couldnt risk losing health coverage and have an object stuck in me haha. I have to add that curiously the device also helped me with bowel movements I noticed when I first got it done. I usually take Dr. Schultz capsules to help with that because of the hemroids. For those suffering the same out there, Ive found that when I cant urinate I sit on a plank or on the edge of the bathtub and pee into it. It keeps the pressure off and hemroids from protruding. It sucks but what can you do right? Hope this information helps someone out there. Makes the suffering a little more worth it.
|
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....