Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Upper Respiratory Infection-shoulder pain??

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
Well, I was diagnosed with an Upper Respiratory Tract Infection. Now, I've got green/yellow mucus. But, my main concern is- my shoulder is hurting, my back, my sides, I get a stabbing pain in the center of my chest when I breathe in, or in my heart [or the area that feels like my heart] & I have a hard time catching my breath.

I guess I should state my heart has been ruled out- but is this normal?

My blood pressure usually runs about 143/44, which they don't seem concerned about- but it seems low to me. And my heart rate dropped to 44 the other day- but I took a deep breath & it jumped up to 100 again.

I'm not sure- but I'm more concerned of my arm, jaw, back, shoulder & neck hurting. Is this normal for an Upper Respiratory Tract Infection? Everytime I go to the ER for these things- my heart is ruled out & I look like an idiot.

I'm a 21 yr old female.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your health query on E health Forum.

The history provided suggests that you might be having a pneumonia which might have complicated the sinusitis that you had in the first place.

The symptoms are associated with the infection in the respiratory system and not the heart.

Any severe bacterial infection does result in systemic symptoms like body ache, myalgia headache , and these symptoms do subside within a few days after effective treatment with antibiotics and supportive medications.

You might benefit by NSAIDs (Ibuprofen) or tylenol for the body ache and reduction of the inflammation.

You might seek consultation of your treating doctor for an examination and proper treatment.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cold, Flu and Viral Infections , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.