Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Upper Ab muscle or intercostal injury ?

hi,

I have had a pain in my right upper abdominal area since July. I have seen 2 physiotherapists and one who couldn't diagnosis it and one other said it sounded like an intercostal injury. My doc thinks its a chest wall injury but i feel like it is more related to the upper section of the abdomen.

I first stained it nearly two years ago on the treadmill and 60 minutes into a long run i felt a sharp pain and a cramping sensation straight away. Stopped running applied the RICE techniques and a few weeks to a month later it had gone. resumed full training and everything seemed ok.

In July i had been training for my new sport of Karate and after doing a lot of cardio and some high impacts twisting kicks on the bag i felt a cramps in the area of questions near the end of the session, but as s oon as i stopped exercising the pain disappeared. This twinge since July hasn't really gone away with the only thing that doesn't really bring it on is cycling. I can get out of breath without any problems without any pain or next day swelling.

Since July i have been still weight training which i think may be another factor. After doing a chest session the area is a little tender.

Now recently this month, i had been feeling like the pain had been easing up.
So on Friday i decided to do a little kick workout after a long stretch and warm up exercises and the twinge which felt like a mini tear came back and the morning pain returned.

I believe but i would like to know if it is a muscle pull or tear in my upper ab and due to that being the pivot "centre of gravity" during my kicks it is absorbing a lot of the impact of a bag kick. I hope i am right.Even when i jog it hurts after a while.

I don't think it is an intercostal injury due to the fact i can breath in and out no problems and i can get out of breath on the bike without any pain. but i am no expert.

The cramping pain stops as soon as i relax and then it is hard to find the pain and problematic area.

is my diagnosis right or does it sound like a intercostal problem?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 17th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi twshalo: Only you can determine what the problem is with this injury....Good luck....

Caroline
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...