Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

unusual Short light menstrual period

In the last 6 months I've started keeping track of my period as I started noticing that it was really short. My persiod arrives ontime every time however more and more my periods seem to have gotten lighter and shorter my last period only lasted for a day. I got it one morning and woke up the next morning with no blood and I stared getting paraniod i was infertile like my half sister & cousin. I know I used to have heavy period while my sister was at home 2 years ago. Could this be a sign or symtom of something? or is it just hormonal changes? or is it as my mum thinks as a result of the soy milk I've been regurly drinking over the last year?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 10th, 2010
Experienced User
Hey Cheza!

Wow! Tons of women would kill for a short and lighter period, but I totally understand your concern.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with soy milk. You might want to dry doing some research on this. Though I do know that your diet can affect your period.

It may be because your sister moved away. Many times when women live together, their menstrual cycles kind of sync with each other. This happens in girls dorms all the time. Though that wouldn't fully explain the one day period.

Finally, ask your school nurse or school doctor. They may be able to shed some light Smile
|

replied August 11th, 2010
haha its seems that it was the soy milk!! I used to drink lots of soy milk at least a whole glass a day... and about a week ago mum bought oat milk and i switched to that becuase of her conern that it was causing my concerns.. then i got my period a few days ago and is completely normal! Mum says she thinks that the high estorgen levels in soy milk and the copious amount that i was drinking it cause my body to think that i was an old woman and dont need to have a period! lol. something so simple!
|

replied August 12th, 2010
Experienced User
It's true that soy is estrogenic, and it is actually used to help perimenopausal women have more regular periods and to control their fluctuating hormones.

It's very interesting that it had this effect on you! Thank you for sharing your story, Cheza. Smile
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....