Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

unusual relationship with food

I'm worried my friend has an eating disorder. He says he has stomach problems but his stomach is almost always bothering him. Usually he says "its probably because i haven't eaten much today." He never eats breakfast and whenever he's at my house and its dinner time he always says hes not very hungry. He is very worried about about eating expired food and he has a great fear of throwing up. When he does eat he likes to eat "simple food" that he that he believes is easy to digest like bread or crackers. He doesn't like when food is messy and has told me he doesn't like food at all. It grosses him out and he only feels he should eat it when he's hungry which seems to be rarely. He finds pepto bismal is the only thing to make him feel better so he takes it a lot. i thought maybe we he always thinks his stomach aches is because he hasn't eaten anything so the acids in his stomach were making it hurt. but then he proceeds to not eat because it hurts. I'm really worried about him and lately he's always tired and much more emotional then usual. I know he's not getting enough nutrition. I'm not sure if this would be considered an eating disorder or what i can do to help him, however.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi sophie5683 and welcome to ehealth...I am not a physician, however I can give you my thoughts on your friend..It's hard to tell if he has a stomach problem or another phobia at work with food...However, I can tell you that whatever it is he needs help...See if you can get him to the doctor to explain his problems...He is going down a wrong path and like you say, he is not getting enough nutrition...I know this is difficult to do, but stay on top of him to get some help....Take care...

Caroline
|

replied August 1st, 2010
Experienced User
Hey Sophie!

I think when he doesn't want to eat because his stomach hurts, it's true. I never want to eat when I'm acidic.

Definitely agree with Caroline that he should be brought to a doctor.

You said he likes simple food. Maybe you should keep it simple for him! Eat a lot of bread, pasta with butter or cheese, crackers with cheese, or whatever. I think maybe you need to get him on a regular eating habit first, and then maybe address his issue of finding food gross.

But of course it is best to see a doctor!!
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....