Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Unsure of bipolar diagnosis

Ok so I recently started seeing a cognitive behavioral person recently for anxiety, I have never been diagnosed with any anxiety disorder and have only been diagnosed with adhd and depression. And I have been having issues with school and friends since I was 14[after puberty] which I myself have never really been able to understand because before that I was the exact opposite, did decent in school, tons of friends, very active[surfing everyday], and even did youth group. For whatever reason that completely changed in high school and I have had lots of problems ever since, and at the moment I have dropped out of community college so I can get whatever is wrong with me straightened out because this past year has been very rough for me, for a while I had been doing very well I had started to hang out with all my friends again and became very socially active for my senior year in highschool and then when my friends left for college it started all over again I kinda just fell apart and became a recluse and a chronic pot smoker who does nothing every day. But to make a very long dramatic story short my cognitive behavior doctor and I have been going through the dsmv trying to make some kind of diagnosis[He realizes he can't make the true diagnosis] and we spent an hour on the bipolar diagnosis and I met a lot of the criteria, so anyways I went to a physhiatrist to get the real diagnosis and it wasn't make though the physch says he is 80 percent in favor of it, so now I am on prozac to help my depression and see if it switches me into a hypomanic/or manic state. But I guess my real question is I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO unsure about this bipolar diagnosis, I feel like my memory is very sketchy at best and I feel like some of my manic/hypomanic symptoms may be more related to my adderall usage, is there any good ways to figure this all out, I mean I am having a hard time helping myself right now because I am driving myself nuts because no one has made a real diagnosis yet and my cognitive guy who I really do like seems pretty set on our BP diagnosis even though I still don't feel so confident about it, I have done reading on bipolar and that didn't help and I ended up spending hours just reading about all the things that could be making it seem like bipolar and I am just so confused right now and I am really starting to lose hope that anyone can help...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 18th, 2009
And I wanted to make it clear that I am pretty positive I have had 3-4 major depressive episodes, but I guess it's the hypomanic stuff I am so unsure about
|

replied September 18th, 2009
And some other issues I have dealt with/dealing with anorexia[and I am a male...], anxiety/panic attacks, binge eating, adderall abuse and ya...
|

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2009
Has your doc talked about putting you on any meds that will help even out your mood swings (even though you may not feel you are having them?) My doc put me on Lamictal (which was amazing!!) and because I responded so well to it, she was confident to say that I have Bipolar II. Which both was and wasn't a shock. Just like you said that you know you've had depressive episodes, but you are unsure of teh hypomania stuff. I was the same way!! I wasn't be crazy, dancing down main street naked or talking to the voices in my head. My hypomania manifested itself in a different form. It can be anything from deciding to repaint the dining room at 2am (and actually doing it) to (me personally) anger.

Anyway, I hope that this helps. I know switching meds is the least fun thing ever, but I hope you find something that works. And please, don't brush off Bipolar just because you don't feel manic (there are many forms of mania).

Best of luck!!
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...