Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Unresponsive and unable to explain - panic attack?

This is my first post, so hello everyone!

I experience symptoms of anxiety sometimes but usually these are mild compared to what’s described in many posts here. Recently, I experienced an episode that was different, although it felt familiar to me.

It’s been a stressful month, I had not slept well, and I’d been a bit stressed all day, especially in the morning when i recall being overwhelmed by being in a bright noisy store that I had to leave. I was a bit tired and sensitive for most of day but nothing too noteworthy. In the evening, I drank a couple of glasses of wine. Later on we were hanging out and I suddenly felt anxious, I snapped at my partner and felt guilty for doing so. Then I started to shutdown emotionally and curled up. My partner was concerned that he’d done something and confused about what was happening but for the next hour or so I felt overwhelmed and like my mind was darting about too quickly for me to be able to explain. All I could do was lie there. My breathing wasn’t particularly fast, my heartrate was ok, I was not crying. It was like my mind was jumping around but never still enough to think about something. After sometime I went to bed and eventually slept. At the time and looking back, this quiet inability to focus or respond seems familiar, although I don’t remember specifically having this experience before.

Looking online I saw a lot about panic attacks but none that sound like this. Is it familiar to you? I did not really know how to explain to my partner what had happened. I’m looking for some reassurance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 16th, 2018
(online)
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. These are signs of anxiety and panic attacks and need to be evaluated and managed accordingy.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Anxiety
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Panic Attacks , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.