Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Unhealthy body or something much worse?

Hi, I have been very worried lately about my health as symptoms just keep coming up. I have been on the Suboxone film program for about a year now, and have started cutting down 2mg each month for 2 months already(from 8mg to 4mg now. However, 2 or 3 weeks ago I started to get these lumps under my tongue that was painful when I stretched my tongue. I thought this was caused by the Suboxone films(taking it with unhygienic hands). I also started to get a white line of growth on the gum under my tongue. I went to show my pharmacist and he told me it looked like fungus and gave me some medicine for it and it went away. I have also lost 10kg in the past year due to lack of exercise and appetite(I am an aspiring artist and have been sitting down practising painting for nearly all my days and hardly get to have any exercise.) However as I am a smoker I got quite worried as the lumps and pain came back yesterday after I had 3 cigarettes that day. I used to have around 7-8 a day and have cut down to 2 a day. My period is 2 weeks late and my urine has been very yellow these 2 days. I have generally no appetite all day but can get hungry before I sleep. I have also taken a body test one 3 weeks ago and it came back showing I was perfectly healthy. My doctor keeps telling me not to worry but I am not feeling myself at all. I am also very stressed these days just in general. Please give me some advice as I am very very worried and I hope my body is fine.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 11th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Angie1101,

It sounds like you just have some poor health habits and stress. These can all take their toll on your body.

The white areas in the mouth sound like "thrush" or oral candidiasis (a fungal infection). This is common in smokers, patients on steroid medicine, and in patients who a very stressed (immune system suppressed).

Your lack of exercise, smoking, poor diet, and chronic opioid use are all detrimental to your health. (Suboxone is an opioid medication. It is what is known as a partial opioid agonist.)

You do not have to do a lot to change some of your habits. You do not have to do a lot of exercise, just walking is a great way to get what you need. And, walking on a nice day will help with your stress. If you walk with another person, it is much more enjoyable. You do not have to go very far (or fast) at the beginning, just get out and do it. Gradually increase your distance over time, till you are walking 2 to 3 miles. If you prefer other activities, that’s fine. Cycling, swimming, dancing, yoga, team sports, individual sports, hiking, whatever you like to do, the big thing is to just get out and do it on a regular basis.

Eating is often difficult when you are busy and/or stressed. While it is best to eat several small meals throughout the day, the main thing is to take in sufficient calories and nutrients. Some people do very well on two meals a day, breakfast and dinner. Again, it is more what you eat, as opposed to when you eat. You might want to set aside an hour or so sometime during the day for you to eat and exercise. Again, if you hook up with another artist or a friend, it is often easier to stay of track.

If you can quit smoking all together, that would help your overall health a lot also.

It is not uncommon for women to have irregular periods when they are stressed or are having health problems. Also, if a woman drops below a certain body fat level, the body will stop having menstrual cycles. It requires a certain level of body fat to sustain a pregnancy, so if the woman does not have this, the body will not allow itself to get pregnant (thus stopping the cycles). But, again, hormonal imbalance can result from stress and health problems. If you are concerned about not having a cycle (there is no medical need for a woman to have a period every month), see your gynecologist.

So, your body is probably coping right now, but could do better. You can help it significantly by changing some of your health habits.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...