I got an MRI on the lumbar part of my back and this is what the results were:

L3-L4 mild disc bulging impinge upon the anterior thecal sac mildly narrows the neural foramina bilaterally. facet joint hypertrophy is apperciated.

L4-L5 Moderate disc bulging effaces the anterior thecal sac and moderately narrows the neural foramina bilaterally. facet joint hypertrohpy is apperciated.

L5-S1 Mild disc bulging mildly narrows the neural foramina bilaterally with associated nerve root impingement within. facet joint hypertrophy is apperciated.

i have absolutely no clue what this means. Could someone shed some light for me?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 9th, 2013
Active User, very eHealthy
The disks that sit between your vertabra are bulging at their rear portion in the bottom 3 joints of your spine.

At L3-L4 the bulge is touching the thecal sac which is a tough membrane that surrounds the spinal cord and its branches. The bulge also narrows the neural foramina which are spaces in the vertabra that allow the passage of the nerve branches. Facet joint hypertrophy is arthritis of the facet joints which are a small pair of joints at the rear of the vertabra.

At L4-L5 the bulging disk is eroding the thecal sac you have same thing happening at this level regarding your neural foramina and facet joints.

At L5-S1 At this level the bulging disk protrudes into your neural foramina and impinges on the nerves that flow through these channels. your facet joints have arthritis at this level.

Type some of these terms such as "bulging disk" into google images and you will find many diagrams with captions that will enhance your understanding of the problem.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...