Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Understanding hypoglycemics !!!

I have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia for 8 years now, however, without having medical insurance, I receive little treatment (not that there is much of one.) Though I realize that my occasional attacks are due to overworking, little eating and stress, there is not much I can do about these things.
I "lose consciousness" at least once a day! Though I can still work through a crash sometimes they worse than others of course. Though I am an active gym-goer and try to intake plenty of protein, it is just now becoming relevant all of the side affects to hypoglycemia that I've had for so long and that are affecting my life!!!!!! I had been to 3 doctors and suffered what was almost a coma before being diagnosed. One doctor gave me zanax and told me to stop working so much. One also said that it is rare for women under 30 to have hypoglycemia AFTER I told her I was a vegetarian (which may have had something to do with it!) None of them tested my blood sugar, and one told me it was "that time of the month!"
I've known since I was in High School that something was wrong with me (I am now 33 and was diagnosed- not treated- at 25) because I would "black out" and become irritable. Since no one would diagnose me with anything but stress, I thought I was CRAZY!!!! It is STILL difficult to get people to believe that there is something wrong (I think people sometimes think I'm drunk and I don't drink!) and I have noticed the same sort of prejudices made toward friends that are diabetic. It seems no one takes my condition seriously AT ALL. If I am desperate for sugar, glossy eyed and AGRIVATTED- people snicker and roll their eyes like I'm some hungry, mad woman (which I guess I am sort of!) It's embarrassing and has made it hard for me on a social level.
What do any of you do to help people to understand your condition and it's seriousness?
Also, I had thought that I might be experiencing seizures but, had never heard of them being related to hypoglycemia- is that really possible? Is this any more serious than the other side effects?
- just trying to live again.... amoremme
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Sometimes you find out really quick who your friends are when you initially get this. I lost a few of mine and some relatives viewed me strangely when I was really sick. However, I personally was able to completely overcome my condition. I have no symptoms anymore, work out a ton, eat great, enjoy life, am healthier than ever and have a chance now to get the job of my dreams. I assume you're not eating right, but getting people to understand is not very easy. You need to just explain to them the biological reaction that takes place, so they can at least understand there's a link to why you act the way you do, but even then they might view it suspiciously and think you're nuts.
|

replied July 7th, 2008
Supporter
Hi amoremme,

The best advice for you is to continue with your doctors. If you haven't recorded blood sugar levels of 2.4mmol or under, then it's likely that your condition is something other than hypoglycemia. These symptoms are common to many conditions and it's very important that the actual cause is found.

If this is hypoglycemia (i.e. blood sugar levels less than 2.4mmol), then it's still important that the cause is found so you can be treated properly. Treatment may be diet control, or it may be something different depending on the actual cause.

What you need to do is get your doctors to understand first. Make sure you stress the severity of your symptoms and explain how it's effecting your life, and has been for a considerable amount of time. I wouldn't usually advise this, but in the mean time you could pick up a blood glucose monitor to see for yourself if your blood sugars are actually falling to hypoglycemic levels. Be careful not to become obsessed with pricking your finger, but the occasional reading may help your doctors a little.
|

replied January 22nd, 2009
I AM HYPOGLYCEMIC AS WELL AND BLACK OUT
I HAVE HAD IT SINCE HIGH SCHOOL AS WELL. A FEW TIMES I HAVE PASSED OUT FROM IT. EVERY TIME I HAVE HYPOGLYCEMIC EPISODE......I GET REALLY DIZZY , REALLY TIRED, AND I FREEZE FROM THE INSIDE OUT. NEXT THING I KNOW I DON'T KNOW HOW I GOT FROM POINT A TO B. I BLACK OUT. AND PEOPLE TELL ME I JUST STARE AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING AND DO NOT RESPOND. I GET GLASSY EYED AND I TURN WHITE AND ALSO GET SHAKEY. AND WHEN PEOPLE GO TO TOUCH ME I AM COLD. THEN ON TOP OF THAT PEOPLE TRY TO TALK TO ME BUT I CAN'T RESPOND , AND CAN NOT COMPREHEND WHAT THEY ARE SAYING. EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE ITS COMING FROM A TUNNEL. LIKE I CAN HEAR BUT CAN'T UNDERSTAND. NOR CAN I REACT. MY MOM AND I WORK TOGETHER. SO LUCKILY WHEN I HAVE THESE EPISODES SHE IS RIGHT THERE WITH ME AS SOON AS I COME OUT OF IT. AFTER SOME ONE GIVES ME SUGAR AND PROTEIN AND A LIL TIME, DEPENDING ON HOW LOW SUGAR LEVEL IS. I FEEL BETTER. MY EPISODES THOUGH LAST A GOOD WHILE UNTIL LEVELS ARE BACK TO NORMAL. I HAVE NOT BEEN TO DOCTOR YET FOR TEST RESULTS BUT AM GOING SHORTLY. I BELIEVE I AM HYPOGLYCEMIC. ORANGE JUICE USUALLY HELPS ME TO FEEL BETTER AND COME TO.....IF ANYONE CAN HELP PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
|