Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

underarm seems a little swollen.

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
User Profile
Saturday, Jan. 8, I noticed that my right underarm seems a little swollen. It is in the middle of my underarm and a small area. It is not very noticeable and you have to look pretty close to notice. The underarm is not painful but occasionally I get a very slight pain in my arm. There are no lumps in the area. I had a friend who is a nurse at the local Women's Care Center look at it. She said it is possibly swollen but is hard to tell. She felt around and said she felt nothing abnormal. We had a bad ice storm here and all my doctor office is closed. I have checked symptoms online and have gotten myself very scared. I am 44 years old and in good health.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2011
Breasts Answer A18595

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the painful underarm that you are having. This kind of lump can be a swollen lymph node, a sebaceous cyst or a boil.

Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection along with other numerous causes. Sebaceous cyst is a closed sac or cyst below the surface of the skin that fills with a white, semi-solid material called sebum produced by sebaceous glands of the epidermis. It is usually painless but can become painful if infected. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle be staph aureus.

What exactly is this can be diagnosed only after examination of the area. Till that time you can apply warm compresses and some topical antibiotics like Neosporin and take some anti inflammatory pain reliever.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.