Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

Underactive thyroid symptoms ?

User Profile
Could any or all of these symptoms above be anything to do with my underactive thyroid?

Early08 my thyroxin was increased as I was still extremely tired-unable to work,(125to150mg)and then I had bloods with another Dr who said that although my thyoxin was working to match the correct level another marker was showing that my body was working over time to get the tyroid levels up-so making me so exhauseted.Thyroixin was again increased to175mg.

In Sept08 I stated a new job and by Nov08 I was starting to deteriate again so as I had read that incresing Thyroixin occassionally would give a boost of energy.I ended up taking about 50mg more each day for around 1 week,maybe more.Then middle of Dec08 I was in hopsital with the paralyisis-was this caused by the extra Thyroxin I took?

Drs are still in a mystery as why all this is happening to me.My employerUK have left it up to Occuapational Health to decide if I am fit for work or not.

Does this make sense to you? Please help

Rx

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2009
Thyroid Cancer Answer A6000

Hypothyroidism might be primary (the problem is in the thyroid gland itself), secondary (the pituitary gland does not produce enough thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH)) or tertiary (the hypothalamus does not produce enough thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH). No data about the results from the neurology tests were given. Since some of the symptoms you reported might be related to neural disorders, you might want to visit a neurologist and check if something in the cranium affects the pituitary gland or the hypothalamus. Scheduling the appointment sooner is recommendable because some of the possible causes might need to be solved without wasting precious time.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Learn what the thyroid does, and the characteristics of thyroid disease here. In this intro section, we'll also review types of thyroid disorders MDs diagnose....
Specific medical conditions can trigger thyroid disease. Learn the basics about causes and risk factors for thyroid problems here....
Learn the symptoms for various thyroid problems...plus know when to seek medical help! A complete list of thyroid symptoms here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.