Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

unbelievable pain during sex after hysterectomy?

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
I am 38 yrs old. I had a total hysterectomy about three months ago with the exception of my left ovary. I have not had intercourse since my husband died 2 years ago, but I did for the first time since, three days ago. I had unbelievable pain!!! When we first started everything was okay, then after a few extra hard thrusts the pain was intense even with changes in position. I felt as though something were tearing away from my rectum. I had deep pelvic pain afterwards and a very small amount of vaginal bleeding, but I also felt very dizzy and had to lie on the floor for several minutes to keep from passing out. He is a very well endowed man, but I did have a sexual relationship with him about 8 years ago and never had this problem. My husband was no slouch either and we never had a problem. Could I have built up scar tissue that tore? Could it be from the long period of time without intercourse? Could this be a long term problem, or go away after time?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2011
Sexual Health - Women Answer A23230
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The intensity of pain that you describe does not seem to be normal (especially if you had no problems with intercourse before). The possibility of wound rupture or damage to the scar tissue cannot be ruled out. You should not ignore your symptoms. Consider visiting your gynecologist/obstetrician for a thorough evaluation at the earliest to look for the exact cause. Internal examination is necessary to rule out any damage done. Get your hormonal levels also checked to ensure that there is not hormonal problem present that could affect vaginal secretion and dryness (which can also be a cause for pain, but not of this high intensity). Drink plenty of water. Avoid having further intercourse until your doctor clears you from the damage/injury and tells that you can go ahead with having intercourse.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.