Medical Questions > Mens Health > Erectile Dysfunction Forum

Unable to keep erections

Must Read
10% of men experience erectile dyfunction. When does a penis become erect? And what is ED? Start here for ED basics....
Can other medical conditions causes erection problems? Here we review the many potential causes of erectile dysfunction. ...
If you can't achieve an erection or control ejaculation, you might have Erectile Dysfunction. But what primary ED symptoms should you look for?...
User Profile
I am having trouble keeping erections during sex and it is straining my intimacy with my wife. It has been going on for a while now.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2010
Erectile Dysfunction Answer A10528
Hi there, thank you for posting your question on Ehealthforum. Please remember that this is not intended as a substitute to visiting your own doctor. If you are worried about your health, talk to your doctor.

From your description of things, and you really do tell so very little, it would appear that you have developed a degree of erectile dysfunction brought on by Performance Anxiety or watching yourself trying to get an erection. I say this because this is the commonest type of ED in your age group. Basically, you have three choices now.

(1) Do nothing and wait for it to right itself. Remember, most erectile dysfunction goes away of its own accord eventually.
(2) Go to a doctor and get a prescription for something like Cialis 20mg. This should kick-start the system for you such that you quickly regain your confidence.
(3) Go to a Sex Councillor and learn how to get round Performance Anxiety through behavioural techniques. These typically involve stop/start erection management and eventually having intercourse with the lady on top doing all the work while you just lie there doing nothing. If you are not expected to perform then you cannot have any performance anxiety. A sense of humour too of course always helps.

I hope you found this of some help. I am sure you will improve in no time.

Andrew Rynne.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Erectile Dysfunction , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.