Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

umbilical hernia symptoms?

User Profile
Im a 37 female & I went to ER for severe abdominal pain. The pain started around my belly button & moved to my lower rt abdomen. It was assumed that it was appendicitis, but after having CT scan, blood tests & urinalysis, appendicitis was ruled out. Over the weekend, the pain remained intermittent in my abdomen but also spread to my rt flank & under/around my right rib cage area. I went to my general physician & she ran another urinalysis & found rbc &wbc& put me on an antibiotic & referred me to a surgeon. I saw the surgeon & he said he did not find anything unusual, although my appendix was very slightly inflamed. Next I was referred to a urologist who read my CT scan where it stated that I had an umbilical hernia. He put his finger into my naval & pushed in and up & I nearly fell to my knees in pain. He referred me back to a surgeon. I want to be prepared when I go back to a surgeon so I am not shoo'ed away again with no answers. Are these symptoms related to an umbilical hernia?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2014
Hernia Answer A46785
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

An umbilical hernia creates a soft swelling or bulge near the navel and are usually painless but if strangulated then they are very painful and then it is a surgical emergency.

however if you are having RBC's in urine then kidney causes also need to be ruled out for such kind of pain. My sincere advice is to consult your doctor and get a kidney function test also done.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations, and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.