Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

Ultrasound diagnosis

Had an ultrasound last week due to finding out I had something wrong with my thyroid - had gone to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack with a fast heart beat - came out finding out I had a thyroid problem.

Anyway, results of ultrasound:
"Right lobe measures 4.7 x 1.5 x 1.8 cm. Diffuse inhomogeneity and hypervascularity is identified.
The left lobe measures 5.4 x 2.1 x 2.4 cm. Diffuse inhomogeneity is identified. There is a dominant nodule on the left that measures 3.9 x 1.8 x 2.5 cm. Hypervascularity is seen on the left as well.
These findings are certainly be suspicious for thyroiditis with development of goiter. An autonomous nodule on the left cannot be completely excluded but would be less likely.
Multinodular goiter with dominant nodule seen at the left lower pole."

Ok...I know it does not sound very good....but plain English please!

I now have an appointment for a Thyroid imaging with uptake and then go to an endocrinologist.

I'm scared, nervous, etc. etc. Any ideas what I can expect?

Thanks,

Lori
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2010
The information that you provides suggests that you have a goiter (an enlarged, nodular thyroid gland), and that you may also have a nodule in your thyroid gland that is secreting too much thyroid hormone, making you "hyperthyroid."

The endocrinologist will further evaluate you after your thyroid uptake scan, and will advise you if there is any concern for thyroid cancer. If so, then a needle biopsy of your thyroid nodule may be performed.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.