Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

ulceres along the gum where the teeth came out

User Profile
I have recently had my bottom right 6 and 7 teeth out and a cyst. I have since had loads of ulceres along the gum where the teeth came out and also horrible yellow puss with black bits in it and my breath smells awful!! what could this be, is it something to worry about??

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2011
Dental Health Answer A29124
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

Your symptoms could be suggestive of :
1)Gingivostomatitis which is an inflammation of the oral mucosa and gingival is common in young adults and has prodromal symptoms (fever, malaise, irritability, headache, vomiting, lymphadenopathy) 1-2 days prior to local lesions after which lesions appear inside the mouth forming small vesicles which rupture quickly, resulting in shallow, round, discrete ulcers with erythematous halo.

2)Aphthous ulcers in response to an infection

In gingivostomatitis, symptoms usually resolve with fluid intake, good oral hygiene and gentle debridement of the mouth. Use chlorhexidine mouth wash and avoid acid drinks, like fruit juices or fizzy drinks, or drink them through a straw so they don't irritate your mouth. Also avoid spicy food and sharp food and citrus fuits.

You can use topical ointments like numbing ointments, such as benzocaine (Oragel), anti-inflammatory (steroid) gels, benadryl allergy liquid mouthwash, oral preparations of steroids and vitamin supplement. Oral pain killers like Ibuprofen also help. But all these medicines are available under prescription and should be taken under a doctor’s guidance.
You definitely require an evaluation as this is not normal and requires intervention.Kindly visit a dentist for evaluation.
Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: Headache
Quick Reply
Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Dental Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.