Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Ulcer repaired,gallbladder removed, gastric bypass

Hi, hx is I had open rny gb in 2009,I have reactive hypoglycemia, fibromyalgia, Sjogrens syndrome, and RA. Prior to the bypass I had IBS and frequent diarrhea. Since the surgery I suffer from constipation constantly. On June 20,2016 I had a Ruptured duodenal ulcer, very close to dying that night. Doctor said the ulcer was caused by NSAIDS. They did surgery repairing it with graham's patch and also removed my enlarged gallbladder. Since then, I have occasional EXTREME pain right quadrant radiates up into abdomen and up under ribs and around my back. So severe I have nearly passed out and been on the floor incapacitated. It lasts maybe 5 or 10 minutes and slowly goes away. Happens once or maybe up to couple times a day. I also have the most disgusting foul smelling gas everyday all day long, its constant!!!! This is not normal! What can i do? other than taking gas x which doesnt help at all!! Lately I have very very small dime size flat as a pancake bm's when and if i go, suffering from constipation. I have started having a very very painful left shoulder today. I have been feeling progressively more weak this past week, like i have jello legs and sometimes arms r the same feeling. fatigue overcomes me. My doctor ordered labs this past week, and I have follow up appt this monday. The labs showed low neuts 31.8 abs neuts is low, and high lymphs at 49.8 , AST is 77 and ALT is 113. EOS is 7.2 ,BUN is slightly high at 21 and creatine is slightly high also 1.1
I only posted levels that are flagged w an H for high or L for low on the results. What does all this mean? I used to be on tramadol but have been on oxy only for 2 weeks which is not nearly affective for pain. I take a rx Ppi for the ulcer, and they have me on a stool softner, another stool softner w lax And miralax. Is it possible I have liver disease and or the bile ducts r affected because of gallbladder being removed? What does all this add up to, in ur opinion? The weakness/fatigue increasing when i already auffer from FM and all THESE other probs is affecting my ability to work as a cna and my everyday life. My plate is full. Are there questions or tests I shud ask my doctor about? Thank you in advance!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 27th, 2017
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

Since you have pain right quadrant, foul smelling gas, and constipation, the following should be ruled out: intestinal infection, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, short bowel syndrome, malabsorption syndromes, chronic pancreatitis or hepatitis and cystic fibrosis.

With your test results, hepatitis and pancreatitis should be further explored. Also, right side kidney should be checked.

Apart from this the foul smell can be due gas which comes from sulfites a person consumes, which is a part of all preservatives. Sulfites are present in all juices, molasses, yellow dye in ready-made food stuffs, and red wine. Sulfites are present in lesser amounts in mashed potatoes made from dry powder, pickles, tinned shrimp, cookies, crackers, and readymade pie dough. If you have been taking these things in a good amount, then cut down the intake. Also take a lactobacillus preparation and yoghurt with your meals. Certain food items like cabbage, radish, turnip and certain meat products too cause a foul smell in stool and cutting down these food items also helps.

Please consult your healthcare provider for further guidance. This reply to your query is just for education and counseling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit and treatment by a doctor who can examine you. Hope this helped you in making an informed decision about your health. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.