Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

type 2 diabetic, positive alcohol tests without drinking

User Profile
I am type 2 diabetic. I have had two tests done for alcohol that came back positive for alcohol. The first test read .278% alcohol. Shouldn't I have been walking around highly intoxicated. I had alcohol ua and blood test done yesterday and the results came back as sugar in my urine and my glucose level at a 7.3. He says that it does not prove anything to the reason why my tests came back with alcohol in them recently. I have not dranken in 7 years and i truely believe that there is a reasonably explanation for this. I am looking at losing my freedom for 2 positive alcohol tests due to being on probation. At this point i have been santioned twice and am suppose to start house arrest as of today for being innocent with no proof.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 28th, 2015
Diabetes Answer A54034
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If your sugar levels were high then you could have ketoacidosis that can give false positive results for alcohol test. If worried you may consider taking repeat specific alcohol detection test to confirm/rule out alcohol use. Visit your doctor/healthcare provider for further evaluation clarification and assistance.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Diabetes
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.