User Profile
My 11-year-old son is not the healthiest eater. He is very finnicky and all but detests vegetables. In an effort to get him to gain weight (he is a bit slimmer than I think he should be), I have been making him milkshakes with Ensure or Boost protein drinks blended with ice cream(chocolate chip cookie dough seems to be the favorite). He does not as a general rule eat sweets. The milkshakes is pretty much the only "junk" he consumes on a regular basis. My question is, am I putting him in danger of contracting diabetes with the daily shakes? Diabetes does not run in our family but I still want to make sure I'm not putting him at risk.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 6th, 2008
Diabetic Diet Answer A4053
As long as your son is not overweight chances for getting diabetes type-2 are small. Type-1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease and has no connection with the weight and diet.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetic Diet , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.