Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Tylenol overdose side effects

Hi, I am a 32 yr. female. I overdosed on Tylenol PM five days ago. It was a large overdose, and I was hospitalized for three days. I did receive the "antidote", and I received medical clearance before leaving the hospital. I am trying to find out more information about the "aftereffects" of a tylenol overdose. I have been weak, dizzy, and have had some liver pain, but not much. What should I expect? Am I still in danger? Is there anything I should be doing? I was not given any information about physically taking care of myself after this. I live in a small rural community in Northern California where this is the medical care could be better.

Any response or information is appreciated!

Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2008
Supporter
I'm assuming that the medics administered an oral dose of acetylcysteine? Do you know what they gave you?

In order to diagnose if you're in the clear, you might want to request knowing your AST and/or ALT levels. Bilirubin, prothrombin time or international normalized ratio (INR), creatinine, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), blood glucose, electrolyte, and pH levels may also be useful diagnostics. When was the last time the medic drew blood?
|

replied July 30th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
rooted wrote:
I'm assuming that the medics administered an oral dose of acetylcysteine? Do you know what they gave you?

In order to diagnose if you're in the clear, you might want to request knowing your AST and/or ALT levels. Bilirubin, prothrombin time or international normalized ratio (INR), creatinine, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), blood glucose, electrolyte, and pH levels may also be useful diagnostics. When was the last time the medic drew blood?

Awesome post rooted! Long term use at high levels can eventually cause liver damage. Yours is probably mostly flushed out now. There could be some reseduale. The componients that use to cause emmediate death were taken out many years ago due to the fact of overdosing. I did it, so I know too. Rooted? Would "narcan" work on something like this? Since it is not a narc, I would imagine not of any value.
Did they send you home? Or did they 72 hour you?
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...