Medical Questions > Womens Health > Infertility Forum

two cervixes two uteruses. having a child,is it possible?

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
User Profile
Younger I had an abortion. Later an eptopic pregnancy. Here a female doctor told me I have a biocornuate uterus and two cervix's. Had to have immediate surgery, after the surgery I was told that one of my fallopian tubes was removed.
Now age 35, my husband and I have been trying to conceive. The doctor I have been seeing does not seem to care to even check out what is actually wrong with me. Had an ultrasound and all tests were sent to him. Had to tell him twice that I have two cervixes,two uteruses. He says I only have one cervix (but i have two). In January had an HSG (didn't work) the tech. suggested an MRI. Doctor ordered blood work because since the HSG I have had only one period, I thought blockage. The bloodwork showed that I have low ovulation or not ovulating. Have an appointment this week. They want to put me on some drug to help ovulation. So with what I have told you, do have any suggestions or helpful advice towards my condition and of even having a child,is it possible?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2011
Infertility Answer A24375

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding whether you can have a successful pregnancy because of your bicornuate uterus. It is very unfortunate that you have undergone these miscarriages and ectopic pregnancy and my best wishes are with you. See bicornuate uterus carries the risk of preterm labor and possible cervical insufficiency. When the fetus is growing there is not much space for it to grow and it stretches the uterus which can trigger preterm labor. So both can cause a second-trimester miscarriage or loss at birth if the baby is born too prematurely.

Hysteroscopic surgery is indicated for a septate uterus while bicornuate uterus can be treated by cervical dilatation and reconstruction via laparoscopy. Both these conditions looks similar radiologically and should be differentiated.

Regarding conception, if your right tube and ovary is patent then normal conception can be tried and to prevent miscarriage, a cervical cerclage (a stitch placed in the cervix to stop premature dilation) can be done. If normal conception cannot be carried then IVF can be tried and then cervical cerclage done. My sincere advice is to discuss this with your gynecologist.

I sincerely advise you to consult a gynecologist and discuss this with him. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.