User Profile
Gud day..
I am diagnosed with secondary ptb, right upper lung last may 27,2018.. then my doctor let me take a medicine and told me to have xray again this end of june.. so m having a chest xray this june 24 and the result is persistence of ptb, right upper lung with no change.. what does dat mean? M still have a tb? Does that mean m not getting well?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2018
Tuberculosis Answer A64095
Hello and welcome,

I appreciate your concern,

Secondary tb means either reactivation of a previous infection or reinfection with mycobacterium tuberculosis(the bacteria which causes tb).It is a chronic granulomatous inflammation that is more florid and widespread than the primary infection thus require more time to recover and is treated with multiple potent drugs at a time to which the bacteria is not resistant,because in case of secondary infections the bacteria are mostly resistant to the usual combination of medication used to treat tb.
It's just been one month since you were diagnosed with the disease,the doctor must have ordered xray for follow up and progress of your condition but it doesn't mean that the lesion should be healed by now because it usually takes 6 months to one year for secondary ptb to clear.

I hope this is helpful,

Wishing you the best of health.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: Lung Health
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Tuberculosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.