Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Trying to help unhappy girlfriend

My girlfriend is having some very problematic happiness issues as of late. At first I thought they might be the standard mood swings, but after talking to her about it It's something much deeper. I think the only effective help she can receive would be that of a psychiatrist. When I suggested this she became even more upset, telling me "Talking to a stranger who doesn't even know me will do NOTHING! You're just like everyone else!" and she left, trying to hide her anger, but I know her too well. I honestly don't know what to do at this point. I just want her to get help. I'm not sure that if I tell her mom, that her mom would take it seriously and get her a psych, but it may be worth a shot. However, doing so might cause resentment within my girlfriend. I can't lose her.
I need help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 4th, 2010
Hi there,

i got a similar problem with my boyfriend. He's 19 years old, and has been talking about killing himself for 9 months. It probably started before that, but he never mentioned it to me as we werent that close. He's an extremely secretive and descrete kid, ever since i knew him (we were childhood sweethearts and got back together just a year ago), he hardly talks about his personal feelings and he has extreme difficulty to talk about his past traumatic experiences, like for example his mother's neglection to him for a few years when she was absorbed with a social/personal problem with his sister, his father's indulgement with his work and position, finding out by mistake that his ex-girlfriend was cheating on him..etc. He mentioned to me a little but refused to go into details, because of his emotional instability.
He believes he shouldnt live to complete 20 years, his birthday is on the 30th of June, that is in less than a month. I'm very absorbed with my university final examinations this month, and i study abroad.. i feel helpless, i dont know what to do to help him.
Some time ago i told his mother about it, hoping she would do something, but Alas! it only pissed him off, and he told me the same exact line your girlfriend did when i asked him to seek a psychiatrist. He said it was not worth the money because he claims to have payed a visit once.

I'm trying to ask random people online on health forums, i hope i get a random advice that could help me do something about it, as i'm running out of time and possibilities.

I admire your concern about your girlfriend, and i'm sure, like me, you're only concerned about her happiness. Try to indulge her into some activies she likes,, some new activities maybe.. Be nice and supportive, i dont know you but you sound to be an understanding person,, when she's down and blue hold her and tell her everything's going to be alright (it works with my other friend) let her talk, or cry if she needs to, tell her she wont appear weak if that's what she's concerned about...

Hope she gets better
|

replied June 4th, 2010
Hi im only 16 so i might not be that helpful, Its good that you are trying to help your girlfreind you seem really caring and supportive which is really good of you, Im sorry to hear how your girlfreind is feeling and how she is acting towards you this must be very hard sometimes people do want help but they may feel ashamed or enbarassed about it or they may think they are crazy your girlfreind could feel this way im not saying she is but its just sugesstion. Has she read up on about seeing a phycastric if not she could do this and read some review's of peope who's been to see proffesinoal's this may changer her mind. from my own experince they are helpful and if you tell them want you want they will push for thing's to get you better. Dont forget though you need help and support to because you cant deal with it alone so you may need to get some coucelling and help of freinds and family.
Hope this help's a bit.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....